26 September 2009

In your face

So Tim asked me Thursday night "you wanna do that cross country 5K in Greensboro Saturday with me?" Sure, I guess. "It'll be a good way to see how your 5K time is coming along." Sure, I guess.

So today overcast, temperature somewhere in low 60s, drizzling rain.
6:30 - wake up and make breakfast for the boys
8:45 - swim class with boys
9:45 - Tim aerates lawn while I take boys to grandma/grandpa's
10:45 - we leave for 5K in greensboro
12:00 - arrive in Greensboro at site
1215 - register for race
12:30- Race starts...
12:47:33 - Tim finishes 5K
12:54:33 -Angela finishes 5K

Oh you read it right, booo yowww. In your face 8 min. pace....24:33 a PR by exactly 1 minute from May. Sweet 7:55 pace....on a hilly (sort of) cross country course. Toot Toot! That's me tooting my own horn. I'm so happy. Sorry, I'm not normally this "out there" about my accomplishments, normally pretty modest and humble but I'm excited about this. This time came after my 90 minute run yesterday, in the ran with my trainers on.

When we got to this race, I was a little overwhelmed. It was huge. I found out as we were hustling to the start line that this race is one of the largest east coast invitationals for cross country for middle school, high school and smaller colleges. We registered for the "open" division, which normally presents itself with a wide range of ability levels...not so much today. I was standing at the start line, the only person not in a posed race position, not wearing a watch and I had to giggle. These people were serious and I knew I was going to get my butt kicked...by the good runners.

So I just tried to remember what Tim said in the car...
1) keep the first 1/2 mile easy, let everybody go, don't let them pull me with them. Check. I found myself feeling like I went out to fast but quickly realizing that I was next to last at the first little turn around. Were they really that much faster than me or was I going out too conservatively?
2)start to pick up pace at Mile 1 to 2. Check. So I busted my butt from mile 1 to 2 to make up some ground and over took about 4 or 5 people.
3)Try to go all out for the last mile...um half check. I remember seeing the mile 2 marker and thinking "seriously, what the hell?" I tried to push but honestly I think I was just working harder to keep the same pace. I popped out of the woods and saw Tim.

"You're at 24 mins....run Angela, you can break 25...run faster, use your arms, push." No crap...I am, aren't I? Am I? Did I? 24:33. Yes. Tim said it didn't look I picked up my pace very much so he was wondering if I heard him yelling at me...If anyone knows Tim, can you answer that question for him? Did I hear him? Uh yeah. But the fact that I can't pick it up much means I didn't leave anything on the first 3 miles if you know what I mean. I was at maximum effort here people.

So Tim said "I'm so proud of you. Get you on a flat course that's not cross country and I can get you in mid 23's easy...maybe high 22s."

Let's just take this one step at a time shall we? That run hurt.

7 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

AWESOME! Congrats!

And just so you know, I ran 24:30ish for 5K's for years... then started regular track and speedwork and tempo runs and all that just this past year and ran 21:40 in April. Don't underestimate yourself! You're faster than you think! :)

BriGaal said...

I love this post! You are so funny and congrats on the PR!!

N.D. said...

yaaaaa! great job!!

Rebecca DeWire said...

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Nice PR, an entire minute is HUGE in a 5K.

Alicia Parr said...

Way to go! You SHOULD toot your own horn about such an accomplishment!

See you at Pinehurst!

Angela and David said...

Congrats on the PR! That's great. Sounds like you exceeded even your own expectations, but not Tim's! It's very cool how much faith he has in you.

JenG said...

Congratulations on the PR!!! As Ryan would say You Rock!! Did Tim really ask if you heard him? Does he realize he is a Gautreau? Usually people hear us before they see us... hmm well maybe that just me it happens to ;o)