17 May 2009

Weekend of Firsts

We went to spent the weekend at Tim's parents' (Nina and Papa) condo again down at Topsail Island. My parents joined us, so it was most of the family. Tim and I took our bikes and wetsuits so we could get some training in.

1. Saturday was Surf and Turf Tri so we biked the 12.8 miles to the site to watch. We wanted to average 22mph but the headwind and the fact that both of us were tired (6:45 am) made it much slower...I think 18 to 18.5 was the average with high speed of 21. We both said "whatever" and watched a great race. Sokolofsky lost his 1.5 minute lead out of the water on the first 2 mile run...GONE. It was Tom Clifford, the third swimmer in that caught him coming into the transition for the second bike split and he let Sokolofsky go ahead because he knew he could catch him on the second run...and he did. Tom came in 10 seconds off the second bike and beat Sokolofsky by 29 seconds. Awesome race. Very similar results for the woman's race too...1.5 to 2 minute lead gone at the end of the first run. Amazing racing. So we biked home...this time average of 22.8 with a high of 25.5 mph. honestly the only way I was able to maintain this was the fact that I was hugging Tim's back tire. Thanks Jo.

Lesson: I used to ride outside before Tim and I got married, but since the kids have come along, the trainer is really the only riding I get in. But I know there is absolutely NO substitute for riding outside. So I've only done maybe 3 or 4 group rides in my cycling career (4 years) and this one (although do 2 people qualify as a group?) just reiterated what I already knew...pacing is everything and I need to ride outside with my husband more often. My first time averaging over 20mph on the bike! I can do it if I pace myself properly in the beginning.

2. Ryan and Brayden's first time fishing...will post pics once we get them from Nina and papa. It was great. Well until the rain and Brayden's tantrum but it was cute to watch Ryan fish. Ryan went on a boat ride last summer but this was Brayden's first boat ride as well.

3. My first ever ocean swim in my swimming career (4 years). I've refused to do them because of my ridiculous fear of ocean creatures and dislike of salt water. After watching the Surf and Turf Tri and seeing some of the participants brave the 3 foot waves I decided, with some persuasion from Tim, that I needed to give it a go. So we put the suits on later Saturday afternoon and jumped in. I'm sure the two wedding parties getting married on the beach thought we were nuts, as the water was still pretty choppy but I had to try. It was actually fun to go up and down with the waves to a certain degree. But I can understand how ocean swims could make a person sea sick. Only got swiped by waves a few times when trying to breathe. It was more effort than I thought and there was no visibility past a few inches but I'm okay with it or I better be since the 1/2 IM in November is a salt water swim. I'm kinda glad I couldn't see anything though.

4 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

I love swimming in the ocean; that is great that you got up the courage to get in. Also, great job hanging on Tim's wheel. I have gotten a lot stronger by biking with Scott so whenever you have the opportunity to ride with Tim or faster riders you should do it.

Michelle Simmons said...

Sounds like a great weekend!!

I used to hate ocean swimming... but now tat we do it all the time I'm used to the shop and currents and think it's actually a ton more fun than the pool. ;)

Natalie D said...

aww - sounds like a great weekend!

Angela and David said...

I can just see you guys bouncing around in the ocean behind a wedding. Too funny.

I don't ride enough outside either. It's just so much easier to get on the trainer.