19 May 2009

Dare I try it?

So last year Tim was crazy and did a track race called "ultimate runner". Participants compete in each of the following events throughout the day: mile, 400m, 800m, 100m and 5K. They compile times and the person with the lowest overall time wins. It is CRAZY INSANE. There was a range in age from 14 to 72 that completed the events. Afterward they have dinner and drinks for everyone who finished along with a cool t-shirt of course. The funny thing is that you don't get the t-shirt if you don't finish all the events and then they burn the shirts from the previous year's non-finishers ...yikes talk about incentive.

It wasn't crazy that Tim did this race since he ran track in college, it was crazy that he did it being out of shape and then turned around the next day and did a sprint tri. So he was thinking about doing it again this year; the track race and the tri...and asked me if I wanted to join him. HAHAHA. This resulted in a big belly laugh at work today. I'm not really a runner. I mean, in high school my softball coach gave me the steal signal and when I didn't get thrown out he asked if I had left the day before. Come on, I'm slow but not THAT slow...well maybe close to that slow.

After I got done laughing, I thought "hey I'll do the tri with him". It's a super short sprint so nothing more than a good training day. Sure, why not. So tell me why I'm considering doing this track race. If it weren't for the fact that I'd just be starting my last lap in the mile well after the top female runners had finished, cooled down and left the stadium I might have signed up already. Forget it.

3 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

It is fun to do crazy, insane things out of your comfort zone. Do the track meet if you are considering it and think it would be fun :)

Angela and David said...

Do it and have fun with it! If nothing else you'll get a story out of it and anything is worth doing for a story.

N.D. said...

That sounds crazy!!! : )i