08 April 2009

Can you sleep with me?

This is the phrase Tim and I have heard every night for the last few months after bedtime stories are over and the lights are turned out. So we take turns laying with Ryan for a few minutes before coming down stairs. Tonight was my night.

As I was laying beside Ryan, his body started convulsing...moving up and down and he was making choking sounds. I shot up in the bed and picked him up with my heart pounding out of my chest. I must have scared him because his eyes got really big and he said "mommy, did you hear that? Listen to my hiccups." Good HEAVENS CHILD...he was trying to make himself hiccup. It was cute after I figured out he was breathing and not having a seizure. He kept laughing at himself "I hear my hiccups like this."

Does anyone remember "nic nac patty QUACK" the dog? Ah yes...so as I was being made to say good night to all his stuffed animals I say "...and good night nic nac patty QUACK." "No, no, no mommy, you're silly. Nic nac patty QUACK is a song, we're not singing; we're saying good night." "I'm sorry sweetie I thought that was the doggie's name; what is the doggie's name then?" "Doggie mommy."

Forgive me please, doggie. How could I be so foolish? Good night.

3 comments:

Angela and David said...

That "hiccuping" sounds terrifying. And how do you not fall asleep every night when you lay down with him for a few minutes?

N.D. said...

OMG - I would have freaked out too!!

Rebecca DeWire said...

That is so sweet that Ryan likes to cuddle before bed. But that hiccup episode must have been terrifying! Elena is not cuddly at all so we are hoping that at some point that changes. I think Scott really wanted a cuddly baby!

I am super bummed too that I won't be able to cheer you on at the NC races or have our kids play together. That would have been fun.