19 September 2010

One week out, what do you do?

Well with Brayden fighting the ick for about 3 weeks now, Tim had it for about a week and Ryan and I successfully fought until early last week. Both of us got a little cough, started with a few sniffles by the Thursday and then by Saturday we were both icky.

I took Friday off work and Tim and I loaded the boys in the car and headed to Asheville for the Blue Ridge Relay. Tim was on a 6 man team. The 209 mile relay race started in Virginia early Friday morning and went around the clock. The boys and I were in the second "team vehicle" which really was just using the extra pass so that we could meet the team at the exchange zones to see daddy and play in various country mountain settings.

So all night Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday I was in a car with a 4 and 2 year old. All three of us sick. At least I got to nap Friday and Saturday and had a good nights sleep Friday night in a bed. Better than the relay team...cat naps cramped in a rented Ford passenger van. Fun fun. We did take them soup and supplies when they needed it though and the boys got to run and play quite a bit...finding fuzzy brown bugs and nicely sized rocks and sticks always make rowdie boys happy.

Saturday morning I was awaiting an early text or call with an address of where to bring a hot breakfast for everyone and instead heard this on the other end.
"hey, what room are you in?" Oh crap "119, why are you all done?" "yeah we had to pull out".

Apparently the downfall of this relay is that the course was not well marked or well staffed with volunteers during the night portion. One of their team members missed a few turns and got lost for close to 3 hours on a 5.5 mile leg. Not fun or good. Everybody else stiffened up while in the van looking for him. And honestly, when you're giving the one female team member a knife to carry on her night legs...probably not a good sign either.

So even though daddy got done about 5 or 6 hours before we expected, we made a day of it. We took the boys to a "gem mine" to find stuff...which honestly was more like somebody tossing some store bought rocks in a big bucket of sand for you to then "unearth" with their water channel...but the boys loved it. So if it makes them happy, it makes me happy. Then we went to the Mast General store and got candy (of course what else), went back for a short nap before heading to catch football and ultimately balloon animals and pizza.

The boys had fun, but were DONE with being in a car by the time we got home today. They were just going buck wild. Luckily grandma and grandpa Barnes came over and asked the boys to spend the night with them so mommy could rest in the quiet and try to kick the ick...I think just the quiet has made me feel some what better. Emergen-C and tons of water, chicken and rice soup and sleep are my friends right now. Let's just hope they make me feel better quickly.

And that's how one week out is shaping up for me. Tim is picking on me now so I must go and kick his lilly @ss. Hehe, not really but the bed is calling.

2 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

I don't know how you survived in a car for that long?! There is no way I would have done that. Your kids are troopers. I can't believe you are 1 wk out!!!! That is so exciting.

Michelle Simmons said...

Oh that sounds like quite the adventure! Oh my. Get as much sleep as you can, and eat good whole foods- fruits and vegetables and live green stuff... I think nutrition is KEY to getting well when you're sick! Good luck!!!