12 October 2009

What a weekend

It was one for the books I tell you. We were everywhere. It all started Thursday when I "worked from home" since they boys daycare was closed for a teacher work day. Let me tell you that not much work got done. Brayden left that night to go with his Nina and Papa to the beach (by himself) while Ryan got some mommy and daddy time.

Friday was traveling to Nashville (NC) and back to drop dogs off, picking up cars at the airport, packing for Pinehurst and socializing with neighbors...well at least Tim did. I headed to bed to try and get some sleep.

Saturday morning bright and early, time to head to Pinehurst for my Oly distance. Well it was more than that...seeing as how both the swim and the bike were longer than usual. The swim, not purposely (I hope) was about 2-3 minutes slow from what I can tell so whatever that translates into meter wise I don't really know. The bike, they extended to 30 miles, I'm guessing to get their own evil pleasure out of watching everyone suffer on what was already a hilly 25 mile course. The new 30 mile course was even hillier if you ask me. But I'm a hill wuss, so you probably shouldn't. And then there was the run. They reversed the course from years past, which seemed more difficult. If not for the extended bike, then due to the fact that there seemed to be more up hills in reverse if that's possible.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my effort on Saturday. It was painful, slow, painfully slow, but a good effort for me. I pushed as hard as I could on the bike through all the hills and then it took entirely too long to get my run legs. I think it was right at mile 3, maybe slightly before, that I started feeling ok. But those darn hills made me feel like a 75 year old decrepit woman, hunched over, swinging my arms violently from side to side at my waist line, just trying to get up the stinking things. I can say I didn't walk any on the run, because I was trying to get under 3 hours but I looked like I was walking I'm sure. Little did I know that the swim was long so my time was already blown. Oh well. Tim and Ryan were there to yell at me and I got to see Bri and Marty before the race. (Hopefully they'll be coaching me next year!) It was a nice day. Although I'm going on record to say that I will not race this course again, not even if they take the bike back down to 25 miles. It's just to hilly for me. Lovely ride and run, just too dang hilly. My efforts managed me 12/27 in my age group and about 72/196 overall women. Probably one of my better results in this series. It's more competitive than the other series we race.

The worst thing I saw was some guy passed out about 1/4 to .3 mile from the finish line. Pale face and lips, slightly shaking, out cold. EMT was just getting to him as I approached. I wanted so badly to ask them if I could just carry the guy the remaining 1/4 mile. That sucks to do all that work and then lose it that close to the finish.

We left directly from there to go to Topsail Island to see Nina and Papa and to rescue Brayden and cousin Madison (according to Ryan). It was almost 5 before we got there. Enough time to eat some food, take a shower and go to bed while everyone else watched football. Sunday brought a little more laziness, running in the waves and a 4 hour car ride home.

Now just under 4 weeks until B2B half. Crap I'm tired. I'm so jealous of everyone that's done and just enjoying being active for the sake of being active. I want to be lazy and eat peanut butter and marshmallow puff sandwiches while watching LMN all day in my pj's.

3 comments:

BriGaal said...

That was a funny race report! I promise, every single person after the race from the super fast on down the line said something along the lines of, "that was horrible; that was so hard; ugh ugh ugh" Definitely not a race I'm planning on signing up for unless I feel like flogging myself for some sadistic reason.

Rebecca DeWire said...

I hope that the man you saw on the side of the road was OK. I would have been really shaken up if I saw that in a race.

sounds like you had a crazy busy weekend that included a super tough race.

N.D. said...

great job in the oly tri. people passing out is so scary - A guy collapsed and died at sunday's baltimore marathon - at mile 25!