28 January 2009

Working from Home

After Ryan was born I went back to work full-time. It gave me an outlet and some adult time so my brain didn't turn to mush. Ryan stayed with my dad 5 days a week for a small price (much cheaper than daycare). He didn't enter school until he turned 1 and then it was only 3 days a week for the socialization. The one thing I hated was not being able to be with him during those first years, seeing every little milestone and even creating a tighter bond. When we found out I was pregnant again, I pleaded my case to work part-time after Brayden was born. Luckily, I have a husband that is supportive, an understanding boss and a company that was flexible.

I've been working 25 hours a week since Brayden was 6 weeks old. Two days in the office with Ryan at school and Brayden with grandpa, and one day working from home with Brayden while Ryan is at grandpa's. Mainly we did this so that Ryan would still get grandpa time and there was the rationalization that Brayden being the infant and non-mobile would be easier for me to manage while trying to get some billable time in at home. It was a good idea at the time, until I realized that Brayden is much more attached to me than Ryan was and doesn't let me move more than 2 feet from him at any given time. For the past several months, he's been moving around the house and away from me, but this just lends itself to me not being able to sit at my computer for more than 60 seconds at a time.

My billable time mostly occurs after Tim leaves for work (around 5am) until Brayden wakes up around 7:30 or 8; during morning nap between 10 and 11:30 or 12 and then again during afternoon nap between 2 and 4. Does anyone need a calculator? That's only about 6.5 hours of work on Wednesdays. Fortunately for me I can utilize the catch-all time code of "Administrative" to make up the other 1.5 hour....cleaning bottles and changing diapers qualifies...right?

3 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

I'm impressed that you can get 6.5 hours in! And yes, changing diapers is an essential administrative task during the day. So is blogging. :)
I'm lucky I don't have to work right now. I got laid off when I was 6 months pregnant, so decision was made for me. I don't think I would hvae quit my job, but I'm so grateful that I get to spend my days with Moana! Lucky me!

Angela and David said...

Oh man, I don't know how you are billing hours with little ones at home. And you are lucky to be part time. Most of my friends at firms have been told they couldn't go part time.

Thank goodness I'm in house so I don't have to keep track of my time. It would be ugly.

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am so impressed that you can fit in 6.5 hrs of work while taking care of a little one. I can barely get the laundry done. It sounds like you have a nice part time schedule.