23 January 2009

TreadMill Horror

Tim and I bought a treadmill as a Christmas gift to each other this year. I guess it was actually more for my benefit since I stay at home part time with the kids and needed a way to still be able to run. I've always heard people say that running on a treadmill is easier than running outside because you've got a machine regulating your pace for you and you don't really have the option of slowing down unless you push the button. Well then what's wrong with me?

Let me preface my complaint by explaining that I am not a runner, I consider myself a jogger. Before I started triathlon I would run a 10 min/mile maybe a little slower. After triathlon, my times got down to about 8.45/mile. I consider this good for me. My past few runs outside have been around a 8.50 pace, which is a jump from the 9.20's I was doing about a month ago. So why on the treadmill am I having trouble running a 9.15 pace comfortably? I'm at a loss for explanation. Maybe it's the gray walls I'm looking at in the garage or the fact that I'm watching "The Matrix" on DVD for the 6th time. Who knows.

Milestones are in our future. We've started the potty training with our 2.5 year old by sitting him on the "little toilet" and he does pretty well with going pee and poop...but he won't tell you when he's got to go, it's a guessing game. Better yet, like training a puppy. Take him when he wakes up, every hour after that, after meals, before nap, after nap, every hour after that, then before bed time. Maybe we should just buy a piddle pad.

I thought Ryan hit milestones so quickly his first 1.5 years...now there's Brayden. It's fun watching the second one's eyes gleam when he sees his brother doing something and he wants in on the action. So consequently he's doing everything even faster than Ryan did. Crawling at 6 months, pulling up at 7.5 months, cruising at 8 months and 9 months in only 2 weeks away. He's trying to stand without holding on already. Lord help us! His little legs are so wobbly, we're going to have to put a helmet on his head to avoid head trauma. Fortunately the only sounds he makes are "ba" and "ga"...Ryan was talking back to us by now...mommy, daddy, juice. I guess they're all as different as our parents try to tell us when we enter into this world of parenthood.

5 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Good luck finding a little helmet! ;)

Alicia Parr said...

Crawling at 6 months! Wow!

Angela and David said...

Maybe your treadmill isn't calibrated correctly?

Oh boy, I hope Zach doesn't start crawling at 6 months. We haven't even started babyproofing stuff.

N.D. said...

I feel like the treadmills are all different speeds and take getting used to. They say they are easier to run on, I thought mostly bc of the non change in incline, but IDK. Good luck!

Rebecca DeWire said...

I have always thought that treadmill running is MUCH harder than outside running. I would just adjust the treadmill speed to my RPE and didn't worry about the discrepancy between the paces.

My husband really wanted to get Elena a little tae-kwon-do helmet because she was pulling herself up at only 7 months and then would topple straight over like a tree. Those were some hard weeks when I had to constantly spot her.