19 January 2009

Background and Intro to me

As I've been using blogs to be my social network over the past few months. Mainly I've read blogs from women that have recently found themselves as mothers or mothers-to-be and are also endurance athletes (triathlon specifically). Since I share in this whirl wind of a life, I wanted to add my two cents.

I was previously a softball/volleyball player who only ran to keep in decent shape. I found myself being drug into triathlon in 2004-2005 by a co-worker and since I had nothing better to do, decided to give it a try. After a full season of racing in 2005, being content with training and getting married to a wonderful man, we found a nice little surprise was on the way. So 2006 was spent trying to maintain some sort of physical shape and mental stability. Our first son was born in late July 2006. So began recovery. My way, to complete my first 1/2 IM 9 months after son number 1. As I had only done sprints and 1 Oly distance in 2005, I didn't know what I was getting in to. I completed the 1/2 after a severe breakdown on the run. I took the 2007 season easy, enjoying being a mom and wife.

Tim and I decided that we wanted another child and we wanted the kids to be about 2 years apart. So when our first son turned 1, we started trying to get pregnant. 10 months later, son number 2 arrived in May 2008. I felt like I was able to maintain a better fitness with the second pregnancy although it was more likely due to being aware of myself and being comfortable being pregnant. I actually raced a couple of races in August and September of 2008.

Now, 8 months after son number 2, I'm trying to balance working part-time, staying at home with two energetic boys part-time, being a good wife and training for my next 1/2 IM in May.

2 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Found your blog! :)
Sounds like you're as fertile as me... Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Mnowac said...

Nice to "meet" you :)