19 February 2011

Dinner Conversations

I realize the last two post are about conversations, but geez, out of the mouth of babes I suppose. Usually our dinner conversations, when we all eat together, consist of "how was your day", "what did you talk about at school", "you need to sit down while you eat", "don't poke your brother with your fork", "if you're playing that means you're done"....those sorts of things.

And the responses that follow are very simple "good, busy", "friends, the letter 'R'", "I am sitting", "he poked me first" or "I'm done".

Truth be told, and I'm embarrassed to admit this, especially knowing how I was raised where family dinners were so important and regular...but we hardly ever have family dinners. One of us is either working, the other is making dinner on the fly, we're not even home, or if we are the kids are eating while we are cleaning up or working. We are victims to our own busy schedules. It's something that needs to change I know, but it just hasn't yet. No excuses.

Well tonight, Brayden was asking his usual "more please". The kid can honestly eat more than I do in a day. As I tell him to finish what's on his plate first, he starts crying because he dropped part of his dinner on the floor and the dog (Bowden) ate it. "Bowden, you give that back to me now."

Brayden, he can't give it back. He ate it.
"Mommy, he can give it back, he doesn't have a belly to put it in."
Well, where does food go then when he eats it?
"He pees it out"
So where does food go when you eat it?
"To my belly, then I pee."
So Bowden doesn't have a belly?
"No, no belly."

I never knew...mouth to pee with one bite. If only. Maybe we should be having more family dinners to discuss such things in more detail.

No comments: