03 April 2009

The younger you start em' the better they are

We decided to enroll Ryan in "Little Kickers" soccer classes. They meet every Friday morning for an hour for 8 weeks. We thought he'd get a kick out of it, literally, and so far he absolutely loves "kicking soccer with my soccer team". At this point it's only about exposing them to basic balance, ball handling and the cones. I guess they do stuff with the cones so that the kids get used to them being on the field and won't play with them later.

This "little thumper" class is for kids 2-3 years old...they actually have "bunnies" classes for kids 18-24 months. I thought that was crazy because the 2 yr. olds can't pay attention as it is so I just couldn't image an 18 month old doing this...until today.

So I take the boys to the sportsplex and Tim meets us there (takes his break to come over and play). Brayden and I normally play on a different part of the field with the cones and extra balls...mostly he just crawls around and watches the kids, but today he had something different in mind. He was picking up the ball, throwing/rolling it, then crawling after it. He was mimicking the kids kicking the ball. So I held his hands so he could walk to the ball and he was actually kicking at it! HOLY CRAP. Unfortunately I didn't get a pic of the standing kicks because it's hard to take a pic with both hands helping the little guy walk..but I guess we're going to have to enroll him in the 18 month class when we can.

Too bad they don't have classes for 12-15 month olds. Hmm
.

4 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Wow that's awesome! The power of imitation I guess, eh? My husband is big into soccer and Moana watches it every Saturday morning with him. Soccer is like the only thing on TV she actually pays attention to!

N.D. said...

That is so cute! I can't believe they start them that soon. Awesome!

Angela and David said...

That is so cool. I had no idea you could start them that early. I can't wait until Zach is old enough for that kind of stuff.

Alicia Parr said...

What a smart little guy! It is amazing what they can do when something catches their interest. Reminds me of some youtube videos I came across of very young toddlers riding on skateboards.