22 April 2009

Sick and Tired

Literally, I'm sick and I'm tired. I thought it was allergies at first due to the 3 inches of yellow dust covering everything outside; it looks like yellow snow (well not that kind). Started with just itchy left eye and nostril...then stuffy head and congestion. That was almost 2 weeks ago.

So I can't even remember the last time I was sick, but I'm sure it was because Ryan brought the crud home...it's been about 2 years. So how the heck did I get sick when all the boys are healthy right now? Well I should say WERE healthy. I managed to get them all sick. In fact, last week I missed work on Thursday. Literally I slept for 8.5 hours Wednesday night, got up and took the boys to day care, came home and slept for another 4.5 hours, woke up to eat and let the dog out, went back to sleep for another 3 hours till Tim got home with the boys and then got up for dinner. I still went to bed and got another 9.5 hours of sleep Thursday night.

Sounds like a lot of sleep, but I think it helped to keep this cold from getting out of hand. Although I have had a headache for about a week now. I was supposed to start tapering for White Lake 1/2 tomorrow, but due to this cold I started last Thursday. Hopefully the extra week of light work won't hurt me too much. I tried to do my long run on Sunday and couldn' t breath very well at all. Congestion, pollen and hills don't mix well for me. I did manage to squeak out 10 miles, a little shorter than I needed to do...but at least I got something in.

So we're in count down mode. 10 days to race day. I'm ready to race, but very nervous and anxious. This is only my second 1/2 distance and trying to train with two kids, working and keeping a house on the market has been a lot to handle. I've said it before and I have to say it again; training is now more about finding an adequate amount of training time to achieve an acceptable outcome. Any desire to be competitive or even improve my times by a significant margin is definitely something that has to wait a while.

Tim has told me that I'm worrying enough about this race for both of us and he has assured me that 10-11 miles training in hilly north Raleigh is good enough to get me through 13.1 miles of a flat White Lake course...I hope he's right. I guess since he's the runner of the family I'll trust him.

4 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

GRRRRR. Sorry you've been sick. That stinks!

You'll be fine on race day if you've been running hills. I think Tim is right. Good luck!

Angela and David said...

Hope you start feeling better. And isn't the saying it's always better to be undertrained than overtrained?

N.D. said...

I think you'll do great! Outcomes definitely change when you have kids and just have to fit in the training. I hope you feel better!!

Rebecca DeWire said...

I think that the extra rest will only help you and you are better off just taking care of yourself so you can show up healthy to the start line. Good luck at White Lake! This will be the first year in long while that Scott and I won't be there. I am kind of sad about missing it.