10 February 2010

Uwharrie 20 mile trail race: Pictures

For the grandparents:
Breakfast in the car at 0'dark thirty. 40 milers had started but not made it to mile 2 yet.




After breakfast and the 40 milers made it past us at mile 2, we needed to play, first in the car...then we got out to play a little while waiting for daddy.
Here comes daddy at mile 2...in the lead. Notice the smile, well trust me, there was a huge smile. Probably more so because he was fresh than in the lead.


Mile 8: I refer to as "no man's land". Tim ran off course twice and fell back to 11th and scared the crap out of me because he wasn't with the lead 20 milers as they came through. The facial expression was one more of "eh, oh well". No shots of the boys at mile 8, they were throwing sticks and beating up trees while I was capturing daddy on camera.Mile 11: "Is this over yet?" or "King of off course", pick your title. Still in 11th place, but went off course again. Notice the look of disgust. No pictures of the boys here because there was no place at this marker to actually play. It was only a road crossing, so they were in the car while I poked my head out to take a picture.

Tim finished 11th overall this year. Much better than the DNF from last year after the blisters and such. I missed the finish line photo because I was too busy taking the boys and their muddy, clay stained clothes to the car. They managed to throw rocks and clay at cars, eat the clay and try to push over a small tree in the national park. Yeah, I was "that parent" Saturday that could not control her children. Perhaps it was because they were cooped up in the car most of the day, or maybe the cold got to them...you know like how dogs go absolutely crazy in cold/snowy weather. Anyhow, I could have sworn it was a full moon that day or so I hoped. At least that would have given me an excuse. No such luck. They were just bad.

5 comments:

Alicia Parr said...

Congrats to Tim on a good race, even with the misdirection. In the 2 mile pic, that looks like Dan Gardiner behind him. I run w/ Dan sometimes and his superior speed convinces me to run harder than I do alone.

Allison Chapple said...

Kudos to Tim! That race is one of the toughest I've ever done (and I was definitely the most sore after that race than I've ever been).a

Rebecca DeWire said...

Congrats to Tim for a super race. I never did that race, but heard it was super tough

Angela and David said...

Congrats to Tim - although it sounds like you may have had the harder day! That sucks about going off course but I guess that's just part of trail running?

And as a total random note, we have those same pajamas.

N.D. said...

The boys look so happy for being up so early! Congrats to Tim on this accomplishment!