20 January 2010

Busy is still to come

I knew heading in to 2010 it was going to be hectic, working 20 hrs/week from home, at home full time with the boys, Tim training for his marathon and 1/2 IMs and me trying to train for IM. But I never really knew HOW hectic it would be and probably don't know the full extent of it yet.

Since I've started working with Marty from OSB, my days have been very regimented and for me, structure is the way that I thrive. I need that schedule and I can knock stuff out with the best of them. And so it's been that way since the new year. I find myself more motivated knowing that somebody else is holding me accountable and less likely to say "well I can just squeeze it in tomorrow". Doesn't work like that now, there is no room to play "catch up" later, I either do or don't. Right now I do.

Don't get me wrong, I've already used the "I'm really tired, maybe I can just double up tomorrow" with Tim and he politely said "you'll thank yourself in September if you do it now." Right he was, I thanked myself later that night actually.

But back to the busy. Because of all this training for both Tim and I, it's hard and will probably continue to get even more difficult to do fun things or just spend some good old fashioned one on one time with each other. Not that it will come to a complete stop, just another thing to juggle. I need my Jo time (My nickname for Tim). Here's my day:

4:45am: Tim leaves for work
5am: get up to work before boys wake up
7am: Boys wake up, breakfast and play and trips out/ clean/ laundry
10am: round boys up to head to gym
11am: work out
12:30pm: lunch
1pm: boys down for quiet time and I work some more
2:30pm: Tim home and either I keep working or workout again depending on the day
3pm: boys up from nap more play time
4:30pm: start dinner and clean up
5pm: dinner and time with boys and Tim
6:30pm: bath time
7pm: Boys in bed and time to either work again or workout again depending on the day
9pm: downstairs to clean kitchen and spend time with Tim
10pm: Bed time

Weekends are an absolute mess. Between Tim's need for 2 hours or more of running right now and my need for 1.5 to 2.5 hours both days right now, it's crazy. Luckily I have wonderful parents that are willing and love to watch the boys for us almost whenever we need it. Which works out great for days like this Saturday when both Tim and I need a long run (with hills), so we get to go run together while grandma and grandpa watch the boys.

I can already tell how important Tim's nudging and flexibility with my schedule and my parents helping out with the boys is going to be for the success of my IM in September. I honestly don't know how some of you do these longer races. It's more than just time consuming. It's energy depleting, mind numbing, family time taking, snuggle time breaker, meal time stealer, fun time snatcher and oh yeah....probably the biggest of all, ultimate experience maker! I can't wait. I just hope my nerves can make it through the next 8 months and all the business and chaos that is sure to ensue.

3 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Oooh. Glad you're embracing the schedule! Yes, every minute of your day is accounted for when you're training like that. Wait til after Ironman is over and you'll still be very busy, just doing other stuff, and you'll wonder how the heck you ever trained like that??? ;)

Rebecca DeWire said...

You definitely have a lot going on working 20hrs/wk without any type of formal childcare! That in itself is impressive and then to train for IM on top of that is really incredible. I totally agree with you that IM training is all consuming with regards to time and energy. I think it is good that you have coaches so they can stay on top of how things are going for you and have you back off when things get to be too much.

N.D. said...

That's a crazy day. Sometimes I get in an extra 20 minutes of running, but then I resent that I'm spending my only time running! Glad the structure is working for you, but that's busy!!!