11 March 2009

Refreshed

I think that sometimes we get so bogged down in the daily grind of things. Just getting it done, getting by, going through the motions and then before we know it we're completely burnt out. Well, that was me anyway. I had gotten so tied into everything that I couldn't see the big picture. It's like I couldn't tell that I was on the downward spiral...actually I was about a tippy toe above the bottom.

This past week in AZ was amazing. I slept more in this past week than I have in the last 3 years...or so it felt. I didn't have to worry about anyone but me. I could eat, sleep, work out, wake up, lay in bed or do whatever I wanted to WHEN I wanted to. It was great, flashbacks to single life entered my mind. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my family for the world, but it was nice. The hotel was so nice and quiet. It felt like Tim and I were the only guests there.

I forget sometimes that I need "me"time and exactly how important it is to staying mentally and emotionally put together. I tend to let everything else come first, family, house, work...then me. With only a few days left on the trip, I told Tim that I was ready to be home, but the truth was that I was only ready to see the boys for a few hours then have another week of vacation. I also came to the conclusion that Tim and I need to take 2 vacations/year. One long one like this past week and then maybe just a long weekend in the fall.

Ah, I feel good. It was a great week for training as well. I got in about 15 miles of running, 3 hours on the bike and 2 solid swims. I was amazed at what weather in the mid 70's with no humidity did for my run times...I was able to run just under 8 minute pace, for a few miles. I'm not able to hold that pace for more than a few miles but the fact that I could do that at all is encouraging for me.

Ha, in all the hoopla from our trip last week I forgot to mention that today is Tim and I's anniversary!

Happy Anniversary Jo!

4 comments:

Mnowac said...

Glad you had a good trip. Getting in me time is my biggest worry for down the road. Being that we're about to have our first child, I am so scared that hubby won't really keep his promise of letting me still have my Sat runs with the girls, etc. I hope we are able to work out a good balance!

Rebecca DeWire said...

Welcome back! Glad that you had an awesome time and are feeling refreshed. Your post made me realize that Scott and I really need a weekend get away for just the 2 of us.Now that my parents live closer, it is more of an option for us now.

Angela and David said...

Sounds like you had a great trip and the timing of it was perfect. I am jealous. Like Rebecca, your post made me think that David and I really need to plan some time away on our own.

N.D. said...

happy anniversary!that sounds amazing and well needed! i'll be there in 3 years!