24 January 2009

Crib for Life

Ryan has been out of his crib now for over a year. We moved him into his "big boy bed" at 15 months old for two reasons: 1) we were being woken every morning by him standing up holding on to the crib and shaking it like he was in prison trying to break free and 2) we were going to use his room as the nursery for Brayden and wanted Ryan to have time adjusting to his new room so as not to think Brayden took "his room" and "his crib".

People at work continuously asked me how late he was staying up, if we was getting out of bed to play, had he fallen out, was he sleep walking now...etc. My response was always "no, he stays in bed and goes to sleep." It was almost like he didn't know he could get out of bed. Let's fast forward to about a month or two ago (a year after the upgrade to said bed), heaven help me. I don't know if it was the fact that we put a lamp in his room that he can reach and turn on and off by himself or if it's the age he is now, not wanting to go to sleep when it's bed time. It never fails that we go thru bedtime bath, reading and singing and he's in bed by 7 but like clockwork you can count on those little feet hitting the floor and running around in his room. Playing with the tool bench, stuffed animals, reading books, swinging on the bar in his closet (yes he is secretly a monkey) and tonight, wait for it....he decided to put his tool bench next to his dresser to see if he could climb on top. Oh my goodness, did we ever have a "it's not safe" talk.

Short of using duct tape or rope to tie him in, how in the world do I get the kid to stay in his bed? My parents just laugh when I tell them, "you did the same thing every night for 3 years
Angela" It's not like I mind him playing or reading...but when climbing on things becomes his poison, we're in trouble. He's a tall boy, and able to reach and climb on just about anything and everything. I am glad that Brayden is still in the crib...although he's already figured out the bed shaking. He's only done it a few times, but I'm sure that will increase now that he's anxious to walk around. Do they make a toddler crib?

2 comments:

N.D. said...

Oh wow, at least he didn't climb OUT of the crib but that shaking sounds like it would drive me nuts! Sounds like the bed needs a gate!

Angela and David said...

Ahh, I remember swinging on the closet bar. Good times.

I have no suggestions but am eagerly awaiting to learn how you handle it since I am sure in a few years I'll be facing the same issues.