26 February 2011

Flu infected house and running

So Ryan was the first to catch it, about 3 weeks ago. We thought it was a common cold and by the time we took him to the doctor, it was too late to give him tamiflu...poor guy had to suffer through it some kind of awful for about a week.

Next was Tim, it knocked him down for about 4 days or so that same week that Ryan was sick. From Tim it moved to Brayden. We saw it day 1 and were at the dr. office and managed a prescription for Tamiflu. It was amazing the difference it made. He was still sick, but it wasn't the bed ridden horrible mess that Ryan and Tim had. All the while, I was pounding my prenatals, B complex and Emergen-C. On top of that I was trying to stay "away" from them all, but it's hard when all they want is mommy when they are sick...and how do you say "no".

So we were two weeks into the infected house and I was still "healthy"...that was Saturday night. Sunday morning, I woke up not feeling completely normal but still ok by my standards. Then Monday morning rolled around and I knew it had gotten to me. I tried to go to work and I managed all of 2.5 hours of work before I just looked at my manager and said "I have the flu, I need to go home". Yes, please leave...and I was walking away from my desk (no more than 5 steps mind you) I heard the Lysol can being sprayed.

When I got home, Tim was there with Brayden. I just went upstairs and zonked out; dr. wouldn't let me take anything but extra strength tylenol to control fever. I was a zombie for two days straight, well really for 5 days straight but at least I got out of bed after two days. So it moved into the chest and sinuses and I've been battling that for a week now. I actually disinfected the house so hopefully this crap is gone from us.

I've tried working out sporadically and it does seem to help to move the mucus out it just drains me physically. I've felt a ton better for a couple of days so I told Tim we should do this local 5K this morning. It was nice to be outside in the fresh air. So I'm sitting in the back of the crowd just chugging along at my easy pace. Baby wasn't cooperating initially, just decided to position itself really low in the pelvis and it was very uncomfortable. After about 1/2 mile, the baby moved position and my pelvis didn't feel like it was about to rip in half, so that made the rest of the run mostly comfortable. I actually came across right at a 10 min/mile; I was very surprised at that. It felt like I was doing about 12 or 13/mile.

Post run, things are a little tight and tender for the first few steps, but overall it feels good. I started wearing this belly band thing I found at Motherhood. I wish I would have know or found this thing during the first two pregnancies. It's made a world of difference with the running. It keeps they belly from bouncing too much and gives the back some extra support....it has even helped with the incontinence issue I was having previously from running.

So 22 weeks in and everything is going well. Aside from one irregular urine screen which led to an early and extra glucose test, things are going well. I'm over the hump and we're going to be so busy now that Tim is "in race season" that the last 18 weeks should fly by.

4 comments:

Allison Chapple said...

Wow, you guys have been through it!

Nice work on the 5k! I've never raced pregnant.

N.D. said...

yikes! glad you are all feeln better!

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I feel your pain! We have been sick for ever! It feels like we have been stuck in our house for the past month.

I am impressed that you are still running 22 weeks in. I am also impressed that you are willing share about your incontinence. When I take a class at the gym and they tell me to do jumping jacks all I think is, "You want me to open my legs and jump, I don't think so." They joy of motherhood.

Happy Running,
Elena

chris mcpeake said...

well done on the run.
sucks that everyone got sick like that, makes for a tough go of it