06 September 2009

Catching up

So I've been so busy lately.

Thursday night was NCAA football season kickoff and my Alma mater was the first game of the season: NCSU vs. South Carolina. Tim got us tickets to watch the game, 20 yard line and pretty close to the field. We even had cushy seats on the bleachers for us...it was nice. We got burgers and cheddar brats and did a little tailgating before the game. Tim was the one that went to get the supplies, but forgot plates and silverware. I was going to use the box top that the little grill he bought came in to flip the burgers but he asked some people beside us for supplies. I felt like an amateur tailgater. Sitting there watching the burgers sizzle and realizing we had no way to get them.

Friday I somehow got volunteered by my manager to bring cases home for the weekend and work. Not sure how I got roped into that, I'm one of three of us on my team at work with a laptop so it's inevitable that I'll get dumped on occasionally. But holy wow, the first week I'm back full time and a holiday weekend at that. Thanks team, no really I mean it.

Saturday I got a great long run in and then we took the boys to Monkey Joes. Doesn't seem like a lot but when I added some case work in, it was a long day. I tried to stay awake and watch football with Tim but by the time the good game (LSU vs. Washington) started I had been asleep for at least 2 hours. Sorry Tim.

That brings me to today. This morning I got up to start my long ride, I needed to get about 2.5 hours so I was out of the house by 7:15. My legs were pretty heavy so steady pace was the way to go. I felt decent during the ride and then it happened...again making me feel like an amateur. The only time I had to stop on my ride was crossing a major road (Highway 64) on 751 Hwy. I always clip out with my left foot when I stop. As I had done this and was just starting to slow down, foot off the pedal, a car speeds by me. I didn't hear the car at all. It was one of those electric cars I guess. I usually hear the cars, but not this one. It scared the living daylights out of me. They had not moved over at all and were only a few inches from me as they pulled in front of me to get in the right turning lane. I jerked as a reflex and couldn't get my right foot un-clipped in time. So to cushion my fall, like an idiot, I put my hands out. I only got a little scape on my knee, a small cut and raspberry on my thigh from my chain and little scuff marks on the heel of both hands from bracing myself.

I kind of fault myself for the fall as much as I do the driver. Sure they could have moved over more to give me more room. But dang, I'm never that skittish on the bike when other vehicles pass me. I'm typically unphased and can stay steady. Not today. I was worn out. When I got up from the pavement, my knees almost buckled. No, the car didn't stop, but I didn't expect them to, they seemed rushed. When I got home it was just over 2.5 hours of riding but my wrist and hand hurt from trying to break my fall. Still a great day of training.

To top it all off, I'm single again for the remainder of the weekend. Tim found somebody to get a FSU ticket from, somebody to ride to FL with and an old co-worker to stay with when he gets there. So he's living up his college football dream of going back to Doak Campbell Stadium to see his Seminoles play Miami tomorrow. I hope they can kick some hurricane booty since my wolfpack mucked it up on Thursday.

1 comment:

Angela and David said...

Sorry about getting dumped on by work for the weekend. I know how much that sucks.

Hopefully you didn't injure yourself seriously with that fall. I always wonder about electric cars. I rely on my sense of hearing a lot when running and riding and those electric/hybrid cars change the game.