19 March 2010

How hard is it to eat?

I think I've mentioned before that before Marty agreed to coach me, the most I trained was about 6-8 hours/week. That was my limit, not necessarily physically, but mentally it was all I was willing to commit to with the family and work thing. Marty has built me from 10 hours starting off to the last three weeks at 15 hours. So I was surprised at how well I have physically held up. I feel strong for the first time in years when training and I'm gaining confidence with each session which just makes me feel even stronger.

The one thing that I've noticed is that the training has affected some female situations a bit drastically. After talking with Bri about it and reading up online, I'm not concerned about pregnancy, nor am I concerned any longer about having dropped too much body fat or body weight too quickly. So during my rest week, I've been tracking my food intake a bit more closely instead of just going off of "I'm hungry" or "I'm not hungry" and I've noticed that I'm only consuming about 2000-2500 calories/day. Yikes! I feel like I'm eating a lot, and I'm eating well most of the time..although I'm a bit carb heavy, but obviously (as Bri mentioned) that's not a lot of energy consumed for the amount of training I'm putting in. I'm a little shocked that I have had the energy to keep up my training considering my lack of nutrition...but what I am eating is good stuff. Maybe this is why I've been more fatigued by bed time and just completely rack out for 9 hours or more when I can and naps on weekends. I was contributing that to the training, but maybe it's food related too.

I've found myself just throwing junk in my mouth to try and up the calories but I just can't physically eat any more. I'm full. I've never been one to track what I eat, or how much...I just drink lots of water/milk, eat when I'm hungry and try to make sure it's balanced. Maybe this is why I bonked on my first half IM. Good thing I wised up and hired a coach for the full and even better is that I have some time to get a handle on it.

Oh yeah, and I'm loving this rest week! It's done wonders for my mental, physical and emotional well being. Hehe and my laundry is getting put away for the first time in a month.

6 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

I'm laughing at this bc I have NO PROBLEM eating plenty to keep up with my needs. I *tried* this week to cut back on what I've been eating since I wasn't burning as much (rest week) and would like to drop a pound or two (just to get closer to race weight) but I just couldn't make myself do it. I am hungry all the time! Grrrrr.

Michelle Simmons said...

oh, and the pink compression socks are 'recovery socks' brand. google it and you'll find them or the link is also on jen harrisons blog. :)

Allison Chapple said...

The only time I had that happen to me was when I was nursing and running 50+ mpw. Otherwise, I could eat all day long. Kind of embarrassing how much food goes into this piehole some days.

I hope you can get it straightened out!

BriGaal said...

I'm glad you tracked it - and wow I still can't believe you're only taking in 2000-2500 calories! You hit it on the head though, you need to be taking in quality calories, too. So when I say you are welcome to come help me finish the pan of brownies I made last night, you may want to turn me down :)

Angela and David said...

I've got to say I am a little jealous of your problem. I eat SO MUCH! Glad you are finding it rewarding to work with a coach.

N.D. said...

When I was trying to make sure I was eating enough I was having the same problem, and I didn't know what else to eat or where to fit it in!